Monday, February 28, 2011

DFWCon and more

This past weekend, basically one day after returning from Paris, I joined my crit buddies on a road trip to Texas for the DFW Writers' Conference.


Our "paparazzi" photo -- Brandi, Lisa and me. There's a hero journey photo on Lisa's camera, but I wasn't patient enough to wait for it before posting this recap!

Conference highlights:

-- Colleen Lindsay explaining high concept (& saying yay or nay to the audience examples -- very helpful)

-- Rusty Shelton sharing tips on building our digital platform

-- Candy Havens heroically stepping in for Rosemary Clement-Moore (hope you're all better now, Rosemary!) to tell us about the YA hero journey.

-- Kristen Lamb giving us a wakeup call about blogging your brand.

-- Meeting Jim McCarthy of Dystel and Goderich. I'd heard from Jessica Spotswood, Saundra Mitchell, and Carrie Ryan how wonderful he is, and I must agree that he is a total charmer. I just wish I could find his theater blog because I want to follow it!

-- Meeting other YA authors -- so many cool people!

-- Hanging out with my writing buddies, Brandi Barnett and Lisa Marotta, laughing, brainstorming, and experiencing various revelations. I am very inspired to get back to work after all my travels.

Now, looking ahead . . .

Coming up this week on the blog: recap of my girly trip to Paris. There will be TEA and FRENCH SOLDIERS, plus much more.

Next week on the blog: a giveaway of my only remaining ARC for The Revenant + other amazing books and fantastic swag.

Stay tuned!

[Cross-posted from Livejournal]

8 comments:

  1. It was a great time. Thanks for recommending the conference. Looking forward to next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Caroline - yes, I'm ready for some time at home in my pjs! @Brandi - I need to register today! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! And I can't wait to hear about your trip to Paris - I've always wanted to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Helen - thanks! I can't wait to share some of the Paris details (most likely with the help of Flickr).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonia,

    I so enjoyed meeting you at the party at DFWCon Saturday night (we were all talking/listening to Jim McCarthy at the same time). And I've LOVED poking around your website! You can bet I'll be one of the first to read THE REVENANT - the cover is stellar, and the story sounds incredible. You have me hooked. Can't wait!

    If we ever meet again, I'd love to treat you to afternoon tea, complete with scones and lemon curd and clotted cream, um...yum. Best wishes for a fantastic debut!

    Bethany Dellinger
    (Lover of Celtic fairy tales, tea, and YA authors...and seeking representation for THE DARKENING, a YA fairy tale of lost history)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bethany -- great to hear from you! Let's definitely stay in touch. Are you on Twitter or Facebook? Thanks for your kind words about The Revenant! And I'll definitely take you up on that offer of tea and scones. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonia,

    I'd love to stay in touch! Right now I'm developing a blog - and yup, you're on it under Author Crushes! Here's the address: http://bethanydellinger.blogspot.com/

    Kristin Lamb's class on blogging was terrific. I bought her book in hopes it will help me solidify my angle.

    Happy Spring! (at least we're beginning to see signs of it in NC...)

    ReplyDelete