Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A close one

Yesterday several dangerous tornados touched down in central Oklahoma. I learned new terms like debris ball, elephant trunk and maxi tornado. A few years ago the trendy term was "tornado vortex signature," but maybe they only use that when a funnel isn't performing as it should. (The weather reporters are GREAT at warning us about tornados. At the same time, you know they're having the time of their lives chasing those storms. They get really excited.)

At one point a maxi tornado was heading our way, but according to Steve it lifted and then touched down on the other side of town. Hmmm.

At least 13 people have died and many have lost their homes, so I don't mean to make light of the situation at all. But I did want you to know that we're okay. The worst thing that happened was my acid reflux flaring up big time as soon as the sirens went off.

Cedric and I spent some time in the coat closet. He was remarkably calm as he sat by my side, but his expression did verge into "freaked out" territory when the wind began to roar and the hail crashed against our windows. Of course I had my iPhone in the closet, so I documented the moment:



Lesson learned from this experience -- an interior closet is not going to protect us from a tornado that flattens houses. It may be time to invest in a garage tornado shelter.

9 comments:

  1. Those are some crazy cat eyes! I'm so glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was only panicked for a short while. I can be fairly zen about tornados, but a few bumps on a plane and I'm convinced we're going down. Given where I live, I'm much more likely to be flattened by the former.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're doing okay. How scary! The only natural disaster I'm really familiar with are earthquakes and I can handle those. I've grown up knowing what to do when one happens. Tornadoes seem so much scarier. It's so interesting how depending where you live you grow learning how to handle certain disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nicole! I was born in California, so I knew that terror of earthquakes from the start. Tornados actually seem less scary to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up until this year, Central PA has been a fairly safe area. Only teeny unnoticeable earthquakes and no tornados. Now we have had three confirmed in the surrounding counties. It's scary but it's no where as bad as you all have it!

    Once google fixes their follower gadget I will be a follower ;)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jen! Tornados in PA? Yikes. You know, we had a fairly significant earthquake in the last year, too. So weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you have to live that. It must be very scary. You should definitely invest in a shelter.

    By the way, you cat is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you went through this. :( I cringe every time I read about tornadoes since there have been so many rough ones lately.

    We get some tornado activity in Florida, but hurricane season is coming up and I have to watch for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Gaby -- thanks about the kitty! And yes, we should invest in a shelter.

    @Medeia -- ack, hurricane season! I just can't even imagine. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete