Monday, May 14, 2012

Santa Fe

[via Camera Awesome -- I'm a little obsessed with this app right now!]

Last week Steve presented at a conference in Santa Fe, and I tagged along. It's only (only?) an 8 hour drive, so we decided to make it a road trip.

I must confess that the drive from Oklahoma City to Amarillo isn't particularly scenic, but once we hit the mesas in west Texas, things got interesting. I'll spare you the photos I took through the window with my iPhone. Well, all except this one:


Here we're about half an hour from Santa Fe -- I loved this vista of huge sky and mountains in the distance.

Once we were settled into our hotel, we walked about town and enjoyed the cool air and sun, taking a few photos before eating a late lunch.


Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi -- east of the Plaza.


The Loretto Chapel -- a bit of Southwest Gothic just for me!


The Lensic Theater.


It wasn't necessary to awesomize this photo, right? On Thursday I drove down to Albequerque to visit with Caroline Starr Rose, the author of one of my favorite books, May B. Caroline is beautiful, warm, and wise -- it was such a pleasure to hang out with her.

The day before I had the opportunity to breakfast with agent-sister Tiffany Trent, who was in town for a Science Writing conference (how cool is that?). We had a grand old time chatting about writing and Duran Duran, but silly me forgot to take a photo. Great to see you, Tiffany! Can't wait for the Unnaturalists to come out. :)

[Cross-posted to Livejournal]

8 comments:

  1. Love the photos. They look like postcards. Awesome postcards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta get this app! Would be cute for kiddie photos.

      Delete
  2. The pictures are gorgeous! I love the way you made them seem so Old New Mexico. Did you go inside Loretto and see the staircase?

    It was so good to finally meet you. That conversation was gold. I'm also revisiting the old manuscript I told you about. How's that for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why I didn't go inside Loretto -- to me it seemed to have a "KEEP OUT" vibe. It was only when I got home that I learned about that amazing staircase. Guess I missed that photo op!

      Yay for old manuscripts! I've left mine alone for nearly four years -- maybe I'm ready to see it in a new way now?

      Delete
    2. it's pretty impressive. you must now make a trip back to go see it. i also love visiting the georgia o'keefe museum there. we're going for another trip here at the beginning of june. can't wait!

      Delete
    3. We didn't even have 2 full days in Santa Fe. Next time we will linger!

      Delete
  3. I take mostly pictures of food and art when I go to Santa Fe so thanks for bringing my eyes to the amazing buildings. Glad you enjoyed your visit, it is a restorative place for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really needed longer. I had that first burst of glee, then I crashed a bit (as my stomach REBELLED against the food), and then we had to leave. :(

      Delete