Monday, June 4, 2012

Lake retreat

This past weekend my writing group escaped to Lake Tenkiller for our annual retreat.


As usual, the camaraderie and scenery were uplifting.

Our focus for the retreat was author platform, a topic which has long given me the heebie jeebies. (What does it mean? How do I develop/enact it without making an idiot of myself and/or annoying everyone?) However, Lisa Marotta led us through a workshop so effectively that by Sunday we were all much clearer on what platform means and how we can build it in our own writing careers.


See -- we know how to build a platform! (Yes, we are silly.)

Some links:
A definition of Author Platform (Jane Friedman)
Three Traits of an Author's Platform (C. Hope Clark)
Get Known Before the Book Deal (Christina Katz)

Quotable quote: "Don't collect a following, nuture a following." (C. Hope Clark)

[Cross-posted at Livejournal]

8 comments:

  1. What a fun retreat! I would love to do something like this for artists. So much of this business just feels like trying to feel my way along with no guidance. I need to retreat!
    Hope you came away really inspired! Whatcha working on these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a self-professed retreat addict, I highly recommend them!

      I hope to share my latest story with you soon. Would love to work with you again on character portraits!!

      Delete
  2. Lake Tenkiller is officially the coolest lake name ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, thought? I googled where the name came from and this is what I found:

      The lake was named after the Tenkillers, a prominent Cherokee family who owned land and operated a ferry service near the site where the dam now stands. Legend has it that during the "Trail of Tears" era, the Cherokee warrior was given his name by the soldiers and pioneers at Fort Gibson because of the ten notches in his bow.

      Delete
  3. It was a wonderful weekend! Lisa did a great job, and I'm looking forward to reading those books. I learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words can't express how grateful I am for you gals!

      Delete
  4. love your quotable quote! as one just starting to build their writer's platform, i try not to get too hung up on the numbers or pester my fellow tweet peeps with constant self-promotion. it IS about making those personal connections. i would love to learn more about this. (and I'm also a writers' retreat addict). time away with wrting friends is always such a gift and usually very productive for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry SO MUCH about the pestering. Look at ME! Look at my BOOK! Now look back at ME!

      Yeah.

      It'll take me a while to figure out, but I'll keep working at it. :)

      Delete