Friday, October 19, 2012

A tea for October

I had dreams of doing a fancy photo shoot for this month's featured tea. With so much going on, however, what I really needed was a simple and comforting cuppa. So today I'm featuring my go-to tea for days when I need some sweetness and warmth to drive away the blues.


Tea Palace is my favorite English purveyor of tea, and my preferred blend is Notting Hill. If you like black tea flavored with vanilla, this one is guaranteed to soothe and delight.

(As far as I can tell, there are no American distributors for Tea Palace. They do ship internationally! It's not cheap, but their teas are worth the splurge. And they offer sample tins for taste-testing. If you're in London, do check out their charming shop in Covent Garden.)


Isn't it lovely? Notice the marigold petals -- apparently they are known by herbalists to "comfort the heart and spirits." (Learn more here.) If you look closely (click to enlarge) you'll also find bits of Bourbon vanilla beans.


For comfort tea, I always use my big red mugs. The Notting Hill pairs nicely with Dr. Lucy's Gluten Free Ginger Snaps. It also pairs well with a good book -- currently I am wrapped up in the magic and mystery of Katherine Catmull's Summer and Bird.

What is your comfort tea? Do tell -- and share a photo if you like!

Also, if you have a favorite recipe for an Autumnal baked goodie, please share. Next month I intend to BAKE. From scratch.
(Alert the media!)

[Cross-posted at Livejournal]

5 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, Notting Hill sounds absolutely delicious! Vanilla is such a comforting flavour. I wish I could afford to order some...

    But I'm not to be pitied too much, since I'm fortunate enough to have a David's Tea shop in my town. Until recently, my "comfort cup" was their coco chai rooibos, but I've now succumbed to their blueberry jam tea (with soymilk) - it's absolutely incredible.

    (I've just noticed that they offer $5 delivery all over North America! I highly recommend their teas, and they're lovely people.)

    Best of luck with the baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! David's teas look spectacular! I know I need to try the Organic Buttered Rum, and the Pumpkin Chai, and . . . so many things! Thanks for the rec. :)

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome! Glad I've got you hooked! ;-)

      I love that they have seasonal teas, so there's always something to look forward to. (Some are specially blended to make iced tea; the melon and pear ones are fabulous!)

      Delete
  2. I'm not a regular tea drinker, but on those occasions when I do have a cup, I always think of you, Sonia. I loved that tea you once gifted us. It was fabulous. I will have to give this one a try.

    I have to comment on your choice of Dr. Lucy's cookies - I just discovered these gluten free cookies, and I LOVE them. I am torn between the ginger snaps and the cinnamon which taste like the best snickerdoodles I've ever had. I've actually been considering a blog about them. I have to remind myself every time I eat them that they're gluten free, not calorie free!

    As for baking, I've had a pumpkin ginger spice muffin recipe sitting on my kitchen counter for over a week now, and I still haven't managed to whip them up. When I do, I'll be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about snickerdoodle Dr. Lucy's. Will try to find them next time I'm at Whole Foods. And yes, do let me know about those muffins! Sounds delicious.

      I'll try to remember to bring a little of the Notting Hill tea in November. :)

      Delete