Speaking of The Revenant, I got my first 1-star rating at Goodreads the other day. Yes, Goodreads is the devil and I should stop going there -- I will stop eventually -- but this seemed like a rite of passage I needed to face. It was a 1-star rating with no review, so I looked the reader up to get some "context." No personal info, no Goodreads friends, but lots of books listed. In particular, lots of Stephen King. I thought "well obviously my book is going to seem disappointing to a Stephen King fan" and brushed it off, feeling very proud of myself for being so mature and unruffled.
It didn't end there, of course. I was noodling around on Goodreads again and decided to look at more of this reviewer's reads. After the long list of positively rated Stephen King titles came a slew of 1-star rated books, including several Philip Pullman books, The Diary of Anne Frank, and more books that I really love. At that point I felt a little smug -- I was in good company!
The next day, the rating for The Revenant disappeared altogether. (???) Not sure what happened there. I was a little sad.
Lesson learned -- stop effing around with Goodreads. Eventually I will get legit 1-star ratings with scathing reviews attached. Best to just stay away, right?
Okay, what else . . .
À Bientôt, mes amis!
[Cross-posted from Livejournal]
It's been a while since I went, but we used Rick Steves and he didn't steer us wrong. We particularly liked Versailles, Musee Orsay, and Sainte-Chapelle. Oh, and climbing up Notre Dame to see the gargoyles.
ReplyDeleteWe were only there for a few days, so we didn't get to see everything I wanted. I'm so jealous! Have a great trip!
Thanks for the recs, Tara! Definitely have to see Sainte-Chapelle again.
ReplyDelete