I didn't know my FAVORITE fictional detective had been adapted to the small screen until I saw ads for Case Histories in England this summer. To be honest, I'm not sure what to think of this. I love Jackson Brodie so much that it's hard to imagine any actor getting him right. (I love Rochester and Darcy, too, but for some reason I enjoy seeing different actors take a stab at them. It's different with Jackson.) Jason Isaacs is great, but I remain apprehensive. And the thing about these Kate Atkinson novels is that, as Isaacs himself says, they're not really detective novels. They're works of literary fiction that happen to feature a detective as the main character -- I'm just not sure how this will translate to the screen. But . . . I will, of course, be watching this October 16 when the show premieres on Mystery!
THIS, on the other hand, looks like great fun. A young Inspector Morse? YES, PLEASE! (And look --
And then there's The Hour, which premieres on BBCAmerica this week. Lots of familiar faces in this one, including a very suave Dominic West heating up the screen with Romola Garai. We randomly tuned into one ep while we were in England, and I was very intrigued. Check out this NY Times feature for more context.
What about you? Has anything caught your eye in the fall TV lineup?
A young Inspector Morse? Filming in Oxford?
ReplyDeleteBest news since the the word, that Toby Stephens joins Lewis ;)
Thank you!!!
I'm loving Rufus Sewell as Inspector Zen on PBS right now. It's so witty and clever and set in Rome, with English actors. Ok that last bit sounds a bit weird, but it WORKS. Promise :)
ReplyDelete@cariad -- I didn't know Toby Stephens would guest star on LEWIS. Yay!
ReplyDelete@Suze -- I LOVED Zen. Rufus Sewell has long been one of my imaginary boyfriends, and I thought he was spectacular in this. I'm sad to hear, however, that BBC cancelled the series. I really hope it gets picked up elsewhere.
about Toby Stephens: It's confirmed by the ITV presscentre.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.itv.com/presscentre/pressreleases/programmepressreleases/lewisrecommissionedbyitv/default.html
Thanks cariad! Hope I didn't sound like I was questioning you -- I was just excited!
ReplyDeleteOh, no way - I'm just as excited as you and want to spread the word :)
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan of TS and Lewis is one of my favourite TV-shows AND I love Oxford, since I had the chance to visit this lovely place for a few days in 2010 and last May. And I'll do it probably next year again.
...by the way, I stayed in a cosy B&B in Holywell Street, where you watched some shooting from Lewis a few weeks ago :)