Monday, November 8, 2010

A magical discovery

This past Saturday evening when Steve was at a law school function, I was rather desperate for something different to watch on TV -- something he wouldn't mind me watching without him. After much fruitless searching, I stumbled across The Secret of Kells on Cox OnDemand.

I googled it before watching, of course. I had no memory of it as an Oscar nominee! (It had noms and wins for plenty of other awards, too.) I understood from the title that the story somehow revolved around the Book of Kells, but when I read that the hand-drawn animation was styled after the manuscript's illuminations, I figured it was worth $5.99 to check it out.

The film opens with a rather unremarkable "precocious boy gets in trouble" goose-chasing scene, but once Brendan gets to the forest, the real magic begins. In the following scene, the young hero is introduced to an oak tree by mysterious sprite Aisling (notice also the white cat Pangur Ban, who stole my heart):




In this haunting scene, Aisling and Pangur Ban help Brendan escape a locked cell in the abbey tower:




These clips do not come close to representing the film's beauty -- I do hope you'll check it out on a bigger screen! (It's available at Netflix.)

(I would love to have stills from the forest scenes, like this one, to hang on my walls.)

[Cross-posted from Livejournal]

2 comments:

  1. Sonia, I just watched this a couple of weeks ago. It truly was the most beautiful animated film I've ever seen. Wonderful music, deep themes, flawless structure...I could go on and on about it forever. It totally deserves all the accolades it's getting. Glad you posted about it. :)

    ReplyDelete