Monday, November 21, 2011

Weekend discoveries

-- On Saturday Anjali Banerjee posted a link to this wonderful video on Facebook. Stick with it to the 30 second point and I promise you won't be disappointed. Oh, and please click the full screen icon for optimum viewing. :)

Murmuration from Sophie Windsor Clive on Vimeo.

-- Yesterday I watched two 1935 films as research for a certain project. First up was Katherine Hepburn in Alice Adams, which I must confess I did not like at all. (And I'm a huge Hepburn fan.) Fortunately, the next selection was much better -- the original 39 Steps directed by Alfred Hitchcock. LOVED it! I was glued to the TV and even had to rewind a few times to fully admire Hitchcock's signature match cuts and quirky framing of shots. This film had a more credible script (in my opinion) than the recent TV adaptation starring Rupert Penry-Jones. (It definitely offered more roles for women -- I can think of at least 4 memorable female characters.)


Best of all was lovely Robert Donat, with his floppy hair and fetching guyliner -- my latest dead actor crush!

2 comments:

  1. I saw 39 Steps on Broadway. I must check out the actual film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that video! Thanks for posting it.

    Just wanted to say hi and happy holidays. Hope your newest book is coming along. Last I saw you at the fall conference, you were working on your second for Knopf. If they're not the same, I hope they are both going well.

    Break a pencil,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete