I didn't do a New Year's retrospective/resolution post last year. No doubt this was because I was reeling from news of L.K. Madigan's stage IV pancreatic cancer. We barely had time to absorb the news before her death in February. I miss her very much, as do many of you.
A tough start to 2011, but time relentlessly marched on and stuff continued to happen. My first book came out. I traveled a lot. Enjoyed good times with my husband, friends, and family. I also indulged in many neurotic tailspins that paralyzed me creatively and generally made me miserable.
So . . . this year:
1) I resolve to be less neurotic. Ha ha! Easier said than done, right? Well, as a start, I'm going to focus on a list that my friend Claudia Swisher recently linked on Facebook:
Twelve things happy people do differently
(They're all worthy goals, but I must confess that #2 and #3 are huge problems for me in terms of how I look at my career.)
2) I resolve to write more. Must work harder! I really liked Jo Knowles' recent post on doing the work, so I'm linking it here for when I need to be reminded and inspired.
3) I resolve to read more (I managed to finish 54 books in 2011 -- not bad, but I can do better), and to read more consciously as a writer. I have much to learn. (This post from Kristin Cashore is a good example of how to stretch your writing muscles through reading.)
4) I resolve to run a 5k. I've already started my Couch to 5k training. (Don't laugh.)
5) I resolve to drink lots of tea and take great joy in my new kittycat tea cozy!
Isn't it the BEST? I bought it at the Salisbury Cathedral gift shop.
Hope your 2012 is fabulous, my friends!
[cross-posted at Livejournal]
Author Malinda Lo – This Creative Life ep 38
5 hours ago