Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Kicking off 2012

I didn't do a New Year's retrospective/resolution post last year. No doubt this was because I was reeling from news of L.K. Madigan's stage IV pancreatic cancer. We barely had time to absorb the news before her death in February. I miss her very much, as do many of you.

A tough start to 2011, but time relentlessly marched on and stuff continued to happen. My first book came out. I traveled a lot. Enjoyed good times with my husband, friends, and family. I also indulged in many neurotic tailspins that paralyzed me creatively and generally made me miserable.

So . . . this year:

1) I resolve to be less neurotic. Ha ha! Easier said than done, right? Well, as a start, I'm going to focus on a list that my friend Claudia Swisher recently linked on Facebook:

Twelve things happy people do differently

(They're all worthy goals, but I must confess that #2 and #3 are huge problems for me in terms of how I look at my career.)

2) I resolve to write more. Must work harder! I really liked Jo Knowles' recent post on doing the work, so I'm linking it here for when I need to be reminded and inspired.

3) I resolve to read more (I managed to finish 54 books in 2011 -- not bad, but I can do better), and to read more consciously as a writer. I have much to learn. (This post from Kristin Cashore is a good example of how to stretch your writing muscles through reading.)

4) I resolve to run a 5k. I've already started my Couch to 5k training. (Don't laugh.)

5) I resolve to drink lots of tea and take great joy in my new kittycat tea cozy!


Isn't it the BEST? I bought it at the Salisbury Cathedral gift shop.

Hope your 2012 is fabulous, my friends!

[cross-posted at Livejournal]

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! I posted over at the DIY MFA site today and mentioned the poison of the whole comparison thing. It's so unfair to everyone: no two people, books, styles, or careers will ever be alike, and we can always find someone more successful, eloquent, or prolific. There is NOTHING positive we can gain from this sort of game.

    This extends into all parts of life. I know as a mom it is easy to feel more or less than other mothers out there. Whom does this benefit? The mothers? The children? No one.

    I officially quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is NOTHING positive we can gain from this sort of game.

    Exactly. And even though I read so many other writers making this same point, I had to go through the comparison hell before I believed it. I like the "12 things" article's point that it might be more productive to compare to an earlier version of yourself.

    Though I worry about when my next book will come out, it's almost a relief that I won't have a release this year. I can put all my energies toward creating and revising -- my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some great resolutions to me! I'm going to read that secrets of happy people list...I hate being such a type A fretter, I need to be cool and groovy and go with the flow ;)

    I hope you get some good writing done in the coming year, really enjoy the craft and the creation of the stories and characters. I need to read more too. Im looking forward to new stories :)

    ReplyDelete