Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday Favorites: the collateral joys of seeing HUNGER GAMES


I finally saw HUNGER GAMES this past Tuesday.

Yeah, it was great, but one thing that really thrilled me that night was finally getting to see the Prometheus trailer on the big screen. Even if this film gets the worst reviews ever I'll still be running to the theater because, you guys, Ridley Scott! Space Horror! And this cast? Guy Pearce, Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, and IDRIS ELBA WITH A SOUTHERN ACCENT? Get outa town! It looks so gorgeous and creepy. See for yourself:



Another striking discovery that's more directly related to HUNGER GAMES was The Civil Wars' contribution to the soundtrack. I've been stuck in a music rut for soooooo long that it was nice to finally have a new band to download. I'd heard of them before, but never actually heard them until the movie. I'm sure all you cool cats were in the know already, but remember, I've been living in the music cave of lame, and they are big news to me. Heh.



P.S. Turned in my revisions! Time to work on the shiny new thing. :)

8 comments:

  1. OH, THE CIVIL WARS!

    I like "Barton Hollow" the best, and then "Birds of a Feather", but their stuff for THG is just AWESOME.

    (They also have some hilarious covers, like I Want You Back, and also Dance Me To The End of Love, which is gorgeous.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw they had a song titled "Barton Hollow" I was instantly smitten because I grew up in Rorie Hollow (in TN). Southern hollows (or "hollers") are strange and wonderful places!

      I gotta check out those covers. . .

      Delete
  2. OH, and "I've Got This Friend", which is actually kind of happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I've Got This Friend" may be my favorite!!!

      Delete
  3. Listened to The Civil Wars video and was very pleasantly surprised!! Not that I doubt your taste in music, Sonia, but I wasn't expecting the folksy, blue-grass influences in their work. Will definitely look up some more of their music. Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you liked them! Their album BARTON HOLLOW is absolutely lovely. Let me know what you think if you get to hear more songs.

      Delete
  4. always looking for great music. thanks. and congrats on turning in the revisions - no more chastising from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like what you hear from The Civil Wars. I'm very smitten! And thanks for the congrats. I need to immerse myself in something else before edit letter #2 comes along.

      Delete