Monday, July 14, 2014

The mystery of the wee blue door, an Exeter window, and more...


Every time I walk along Parks Road, I wonder about this small blue door. The building is on the grounds of Wadham College, but I can't seem to find any information about its history or current use. Was the door used for deliveries only?


A closer view of the door. Any insights?

Last Friday we went to a concert at Exeter college -- Kah-Ming Ng always partners with talented musicians for his Charivari Agreeable performances, and that night two Baroque cellists were featured. (Do you say "Baroque cellist" or "Cellists who play Baroque"? I don't know!)


Before the concert began, I just couldn't resist taking a photo of this window outside the chapel door. Isn't it so very Oxford? A few seconds after I took this, a man came to the window and gave me a dirty look. Needless to say, I scurried off.

Yesterday we enjoyed a concert at the Holywell Music Room, and I was delighted to see Edward Petherbridge in the audience! (He will always be Lord Peter Wimsey in my mind and heart.) I waited after the concert to see if I'd get a chance to talk to him, but he looked tired and shy -- as though he really just wanted to be left alone -- so I didn't push the matter. It was nice enough to have seen him in person.

The first half of yesterday's program at Holywell featured Arcadiana by British composer Thomas Ad├Ęs (who is TWO years younger than me, argh). Most of it was a bit too strange and modern for me to appreciate, but the sixth movement, "O Albion," brought tears to my eyes:



[Cross-posted at Livejournal]

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that WAS beautiful, but very sad. The pics are JUST beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love painted doors, and this one is particularly charming! Looks as though you're having a great experience. Keep the postcards coming.

    ReplyDelete