Monday, August 29, 2011

I believe

Steve and I finally saw Cowboys & Aliens yesterday. I went in with low expectations and actually had a pretty good time with it. Yes, it was formulaic, often cheesy, and completely lacking in subtlety. But the explosions! And gunfights! And alien abductions! And sweaty cowboys! Hey, I was quite pleased.

Best of all, Daniel Craig had me within the first thirty seconds of the movie. He just . . . he always makes me believe in his characters -- even when they're doing and saying the most preposterous things.

It's what I like best in actors who play action heroes (and here I loosely define action hero as "one who'd prefer to solve problems by fighting rather than talking") -- that ability to own the role so completely that I always see the character rather than the performance.

So whether Daniel Craig is playing . . .


an alcoholic police detective with anger issues


a drug dealer who wants to quit the game


a government agent with a license to kill


or an alien-busting cowboy . . . I BELIEVE!

[BTW, Michael Fassbender also accomplishes this in every role he plays, in my opinion. Whether it be a demon (with eyeliner!), a centurion, a mutant, or a 19th century gothic hero, I always buy into him as character.]

Which action hero actors make YOU believe?

[cross-posted at Livejournal]

6 comments:

  1. You took two of my all-time favorite heroes. Daniel Craig and Michael Fassbender. I have to say that Johnny Depp is also very good at what he does. From Mad Hatter to Pirate, he nails his role every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole -- hooray for similar taste in action heroes! And good point about Johnny Depp. He does seem dedicated to fully inhabiting his various roles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It helps that he's smokin' hot. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael -- it's those eyes . . . and I think he might work out once in a while, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel Craig *sigh* Johnny Depp *sigh* Harrison Ford as Han Solo or Indiana Jones *sigh*

    ReplyDelete